Friday, May 9, 2008

There is always something unexpected about pregnancy

So, as I have some time off right now, I am trying to get in all possible doctors appointments that I can. I have already been to the dermatologist and learned that my drastic sunburn from last May (from which I still have the tan lines) has not yet produced any scary melanoma spots. But, I digress.

Since I do have the spare time, I also decided to get my eyes checked out since, I have not been able to wear my contacts comfortably since getting pregnant. In fact, my contacts had become so bothersome, everytime I put them in, I could feel them and no matter what I did, the left eye just would not focus. I had pretty much stopped wearing them. The problem is, this means I can't wear sunglasses, which I dearly love to wear, so I went to the eye doctor yesterday. I ended up just doing a walk-in appointment. I swear to you the intake guy thought I was crazy when I told him that since getting pregnant that I could not wear my contacts. He admitted that he had heard of eyesight changing in pregnancy but that contacts should not be an issue. However, not discounting what I said, they agreed to do an brief eye exam. And although I just had my eyes checked in September, the results of the eye exam were quite shocking to me. Since wearing corrective lenses, I have had the prescription in each eye. That has changed. Also, since September, the prescription in both of my eyes has changed as well. I was wearing -1.75 in both my left and right eyes. After going to the eye doctor yesterday, I am now wearing -1.00 in the left eye and -1.50 in the right eye. So, my eye sight has actually improved, and no wonder that left contact was blurry, I was wearing -1.75 and my eye had changed to -1.00! The good thing is, I wore contacts comfortably today for the first time in almost 2 months! I did not deal with this particular eyesight issue in my pregnancy with James, so there is always something unexpected about pregnancy.

4 comments:

Alice said...

And motherhood! LOL Your learning. Glad you got it looked at and are more comfortable.

Anonymous said...

That is weird - but at least they got better, not worse!

Jenna said...

Hooray for no scary melanoma... and for improved eye sight! And for wearing sunglasses!

Jenna said...

How are you doing, just you?


I love cupcakes

Heavy Reading for a One Year Old